Greetings food and wine lovers! This edition of Foodie Friday is dedicated to finding a decadent appetizer that can stand up to the winter cold, but won’t derail all those health-focused New Year’s resolutions. One that comes together quickly, with just a few simple ingredients, but pack plenty of satisfying flavor! I give you the Avocado & Pistachio Oil Crostini:
Please, hold your applause. This appetizer is simple, yet delicious and delivers a healthy dose of MUFAs while you’re imbibing. Here’s what you’ll need:
- French baguette
- 2 avocados
- ½ cup crushed or chopped pistachio nuts
- Pistachio oil
- Salt to taste
Are you ready for how simple this is? Here’s what you do:
- Set your oven to Broil
- Slice the baguette and brush each one with a bit of pistachio oil
- Place them in the oven until crisp – it will happen quickly so don’t walk away!
- As you keep an eye on your bread, cut the avocado into slices
- Remove bread from the oven and top with avocado slices, sprinkle with pistachio nuts, and drizzle with remaining pistachio oil. Sprinkle salt on top
That’s it! Literally, less than 15 minutes for a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Pair with a light, bright white wine. I like Sauvignon Blanc with this appetizer, and generally go with one from Flora Springs Soliloqy Vineyard, but I also think an Albariño or Petit Manseng could make wonderful pairings for this one! You may want to try Michael Shaps’ Odette, or Chrysalis’ Albariño. Bon appétit!